ABOUT CATCH THEM YOUNG PRROGRAMME
PROPOSED PTDF ‘CATCH THEM YOUNG’ COMPETITIONS IN PETROLEUM TECHNOLOGY FOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS
The Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) is a Government Agency with the mandate to develop indigenous manpower for the Nigerian Oil and Gas Industry in the fields of engineering, geology, science and management in the petroleum industry. To actualize this mandate, the Fund has embarked on the following activities:
i. Overseas Scholarship Scheme (OSS)
ii. Local Scholarship Scheme
iii. Upgrade of Petroleum Training Institute (PTI) Warri to Centre of Excellence
iv. Upgrade of Teaching and Research Facilities at Selected Universities
v. Development and/or Upgrading of Cognate Institutions
vi. University’s Endowment Program
vii. Annual Oil and Gas Research Grants Competition
viii. Nigerian Content Development
ix. Strategic Support and Collaboration with stakeholder
2. These activities have been designed in recognition of the fact that lack of adequate skilled indigenous personnel has been a major problem in the Nigerian Oil and Gas industry, which is mainly dominated and operated by foreigners. This problem has been partly attributed to lack of interest/awareness by our youth at an early stage. In order to increase Nigerian content in the industry, we see the need to develop some ‘catch them young’ programs to create awareness and guide students towards oil and gas career path.
3. Given the role of PTDF in capacity building towards the development of Nigerian local content in the industry, the Fund has developed a new program “PTDF ESSAY DEBATE AND QUIZ COMPETITION FOR SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS”. The program is targeted at senior secondary school students, to encourage and create awareness in core science subjects necessary for oil and gas courses. The proposed PTDF competition will be for Senior Secondary School (SSS) students only and will be held at state, zonal and national levels. Various prizes and other incentives, including visits to some international oil installations, will be won.
4. To achieve this, PTDF is sponsoring the competition at the state, zonal and national levels to select the best student in each category of the competitions. The competition at the state level would determine the best three students in core science subjects in each state. Selected students will then compete against their counterparts in other states within the zone. It is envisaged that the first stage of the quiz would be held in February 2010.
5. The third and final stage is at the national level. The best student in each category from the six geo-political zones would compete against each other, to select the overall winners of the competitions. Attached is a detailed program for the proposed event.
6. It is against this backdrop that the PTDF is inviting all Unity and Private schools, who are interested in the competition to seize this opportunity to participate.
7. Your letter of interest should indicate:
i. State where school is located
ii. Local government
iii. Evidence of State Government approval as private school
8. Letters of indication of interest to be received before the end of January 20109. I strongly believe that if the above program is effectively implemented, the gaps facing the industry would not only be addressed but also make Nigeria the human resource centre for the West Africa sub-region in the petroleum sector.
10. Find Details and Prizes for the competition.
DETAILED PLAN FOR PTDF ‘CATCH THEM YOUNG’ COMPETITIONS IN PETROLEUM TECHNOLOGY FOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS
1. February 11th, 2010
Competitions will hold at State level (All the 36 states including FCT) to be sponsored by PTDF. Stakeholders will conduct the exam and National Mathematical Sciences Centre will coordinate to select the best (3) three and this will be conducted at the state capitals.
2. February 25th, 2010
Award of prizes at state level to students, teachers and schools
3. March 8th – 9th, 2010
PTDF Technology Quiz at Zonal Level (All the zones in the Federation i.e three (3) best students from each State to participate). Awards of Prizes (see attached for details).
a) South-South Port Harcourt b) South-West Ibadan
c) South-East Enugu
d) North-Central Abuja
e) North-West Kaduna
f) North-East Maiduguri
4. April 22nd – 23rd 2010 Finals in Abuja (three  best students from each Zone to participate). Awards of Prizes (see attached for details).
PRIZES FOR THE PROPOSED PTDF ‘CATCH THEM YOUNG’ COMPETITION
State Level Prizes
*1st Position - N20, 000.00
*2nd Position – N15, 000.00
*3rd Position – N10, 000.00
*4th – 10th Positions – N5, 000.00 each
*Teachers – N10, 000 each
*Schools – N10, 000.00 worth of books
*Certificates for Students, Teachers and Schools
Zonal Level Prizes
*1st Position - N100, 000.00
*2nd Position – N 75,000.00
*3rd Position – N 50,000.00
*4th – 10th Positions – N20, 000.00 each
*11th – 18th Positions – N10, 000.00 eachTeachers – N20, 000.00 each
*Schools – N20, 000.00 worth of booksCertificates for Students, Teachers and Schools
*1st Position - N150, 000.00 with a Laptop
*2nd Position –N100, 000.00 with a Laptop
*3rd Position – N 75,000.00 with a Laptopand fully sponsored trip to local and International Oil and gas Installations with their school teachers.
*4th – 10th - N40, 000.00
*11th – 18th - N20, 000.00
*Two Sets of computer for each school